Monday, January 2, 2017

10 Things 2016 Taught Me

10 Things 2016 Taught Me

(10) Potato Corner is the ultimate bae.
I mean, I've always known this, but it was in 2016 where the love was reciprocated. See below.


(9) Budgeting is a MUST.
I have a problem when it comes to keeping my finances in check. I am guilty of spending on a whim, especially on food... (Don't look at me like that you know you do it too..) I promise to budget wisely this 2017!!! So I can buy more food JOKE pero..1/2 joke.

(8) There will always be people better than you.
Smarter, better looking, funnier, more popular, parang si Liza Soberano, ganun. You can't always be the best at everything (unless you're Liza), but you can be the best version of yourself. And how do you do that? Step one: Accept that there will always be people better than you. And that's okay. In the world of dance, someone will always have higher extensions, can outdo your doubles with quadruples, and the list goes on. Important thing is to keep working towards being the best you YOU can be. 

(7) Having a happy crush (or crushes if you're malandi hahaha JOKE) is healthy. 
Also filed under: being a fan girl
Whether it's a celebrity crush or an acquaintance crush or a bff crush, these happy crushes/fan girl moments are so fun to have! In a year when the world felt so heavy too many a times, happy crushes ease that weight a little when they (unknowingly) provide a few kilig moments here and there. Admit it, ni-like lang photo mo, buo na araw mo! Tapos may DM pa awow Liza level ang haba ng hair charaught pero totoo

"Yasss ni-like niya hihi"

(6) Different sets of friends, different sets of interests.
Let's be 100% real here. You have friends you grab coffee with, and you have friends you take shots with. And there's nothing wrong with that. I mean I have friends who share my love for classical music, and I have friends who applaud my super great rapping skillz. I have friends who understand my wanting to stay in and sleep early on a Friday night, but I also have friends who sing along to throwback 90's songs til 3am with me in BGC on a Saturday night. It's all good. 

(5) There will be people who will disappoint you.
It's not life without some hurt, some loss, and a bit of confusion every now and then. You're cool with some people one minute, and then the next, you feel like you're left hanging. Some will keep promises, a lot won't. But in retrospect, all these disappointments add solid building blocks to your growth as a person, as a student, as a teacher, as a dancer, etc. But on the other hand--

(4) There will be people who will always have your back.
Through hell and high water, hundred percent sure they gon' be out there witcha. Your constants. These are the people who will appreciate those random memes you tag them in, and who will decipher those screenshots of conversations you send them. Never take them for granted. HUG THEM. 


(3) Know how to recognize and acknowledge the feels.
And i'm not just talking about mushy feelings.. I'm saying all kinds of feels!
It was moments before I had to go on stage and compete at the Philippine Dance Cup when I told God, "I acknowledge this fear, this anxiety, and these nerves I am feeling right now, God. They are there. I ask that you help me overcome them and not let it limit my performance, but instead, let these feelings fuel the fire to do well." For me, at least, acknowledging works better than denying. I mean if I'm feeling sad, I don't tell myself, "You're not sad. Get over it." No, just no. WE ARE HUMANS! We are programmed to feel. 

FEEL IT.
(2) Yielding to God's plan is all that matters, ultimately.
I was reminded last year that I don't have to constantly keep trying to prove myself, or to prove anything, for that matter, to others. I have this irrational need to always please everybody, and you can imagine how exhausting that can be. A prophetic word was spoken to me late last year, declaring a year of liberty and freedom from all that's tying me down, emotionally. I am where God needs me to be, and that's all that matters. 

(1) You can't be brave without leaving your comfort zone. 
Otherwise, you're just, well, existing.

Philippine Dance Cup 2016: My ultimate test of bravery last year!
Worth the work. 5th place, thank you LORD!! :D 

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

Love,
Laura











No comments:

Post a Comment