Thursday, July 7, 2016

Homecoming

July 6th marks the one year anniversary of my Acts Manila "homecoming". It's been one whole year since I decided to take that leap of faith, from a career in the non-profit sector into the the performing arts field. One year since I had one of the most restless seasons of my life, because I was trying to silence something my heart has constantly been shouting: "Go back to dance."

I tweeted this on July 6, 2015, after my first day back in the studio!
One year after, and I can't help but just be so incredibly grateful at how God has faithfully seen me through this life journey. In my one year back in dance, I have:

- Been given the responsibility of handling two schools and taking over their ballet program: Acts Manila @International British Academy, and Acts Manila @Kerusso Christian Academy
- Gotten strength back to fully dance on pointes and execute steps accomplished only through muscle memory (this was an absolute struggle)
- Performed and participated in around 15 (give or take) different events: Mall shows, corporate engagements, church numbers, workshops, etc.
-Completed seminar 1 of the official training program of the Australian Conservatoire of Ballet conducted by ballerina Christine Walsh herself
- Taken part in the annual Acts Manila recital in the CCP Main Theater after 8 years
- Experienced wearing two (metaphorical) hats during the recital: The dancer hat and the teacher hat!
- Promoted to full Director, yay!
- Helped develop the Acts Manila Public Speaking and Creative Writing Program with me at the helm
- Conducted a full Personality Development Seminar for the teachers of Kerusso Christian Academy
- Braved my fear of competing by entering a local dance competition: The Philippine Dance Cup
- Taken one student under my wing to coach for the Asian Grand Prix ballet competition in Hong Kong
- Gotten my parents' full support, no questions asked <3

Getting back to the groove; it wasn't easy, but it was worth it. 
The in-betweens that stitch all these highlights together certainly contribute to the fulfillment I get each day, like seeing my students improve on a certain step, knowing that you helped mold that, or listening to the silly kwentos of my fellow dancers in the studio everyday, or just the fact that I don't get stuck in traffic going to and from work on a daily basis! There's so much to be thankful for.

-ACTS Manila Company: IJ, Pia, Lormaigne, Julianne, Pam, Steffi, yo girl Laura, Shekinah, Johanna, Jayson-
In addition to multiple shows and performances, we get to do fun and fancy photoshoots like this one, too!

I feel so fulfilled and immeasurably happy where I am now. Sure, I still get bad days every now and then, but the good far outweigh the bad. For when you feel that you are in the center of God's will, no day is ever really that bad. Isang prayer lang yan :)


Next Post: The Choice to Compete?

Abangan!

Love,
Laura



No comments:

Post a Comment